Too much data? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Jessica Saunders posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 3:44 pm
I am trying to run a 4 class GGMM with a sample size of 1,000,000. I can get the model to run using subsamples of 1,000 and even 10,000 -- but when I increase the sample size, the model will not converge. I tried to increase the convergence criteria to .005, but it did not help. I still get the following error message:

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO A CHANGE IN THE CLASS COUNTS DURING THE LAST E STEP.

AN INSUFFICENT NUMBER OF E STEP ITERATIONS MAY HAVE BEEN USED. INCREASE THE NUMBER OF M ITERATIONS. ESTIMATES CANNOT BE TRUSTED. THE CLASS COUNTS CHANGED IN THE LAST EM ITERATION FOR CLASS 1.

I think this is because with even the most minor of parameter adjustment, at least one person would change classes, which would generate the above error message. Is there a way to adjust the convergence requirements for the class counts for this with such a large sample size? Or is there some other problem?

Thanks!
Jess
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 3:32 pm
Try adding ALGORITHM=INTEGRATION; to the ANALYSIS command. I think that will get around checking class counts.
 Jessica Saunders posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 12:28 pm
That worked -- Thanks Linda!
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: