Auxiliary function of missing data PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Missing Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Xu, Man posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:06 am
sorry if I multi posted this.
I just experimented with the auxiliary function for the Mplus 5.1. The results are quite similary to FIML. I am not quite sure if the auxiliary vaiables are considered in relation to the clustering effect for data that has clustering structure. I used complex design function to account for the cluster effect.
Can I have more information regarding this function please?
Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:12 pm
Yes, Type=Complex is in operation when you use aux(m).
 Xu, Man posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:26 am
Thanks! I didn't totally understand the technical appendix for this function. But if I understood correctly, this function implemented method from Graham(2003), right? My confusion is that this paper didn't specify how this works for multilevel data. How Mplus takes into account of it when Type=Complex is in operation when you use aux(m)?

Graham, J. W. 2003
Adding missing-data-relevant variables to FIML-based structural equation models
Structural Equation Modeling 10, 1 page 80-100
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:43 am
Aux(m) still uses maximum-likelihood estimation, just with an extended set of variables. Type=Complex adjusts for complex sample features just like with other ML estimation - so there is no extra difficulty when aux(m) is added. Type=twolevel is another matter.
 Xu, Man posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:40 am
I see. Thanks for the reply! How it is another matter when Type=twolevel? (so sorry if my question is a bit "idiotic...")
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:17 pm
Well, then you have to make sure that the "saturated correlates" approach is applied correctly to the two levels - this has not been explicated in the literature. May be straightforward, but...
 Andy Ross posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:57 am
Hi

Following on from your last post, is there any plans to make the aux(m) available for type=twolevel or type=complex?

Many thanks!
 Andy Ross posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 1:59 am
Apologies, in my last post I meant type=mixture not type=complex
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:20 am
We have no plans to do this in the immediate future.
 Guillaume Filteau posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 2:15 pm
Is it possible to estimate the variance of an auxiliary covariate?

Would that result in using all individuals for the analysis, even if they are missing the auxiliary variable?

Best,
Guillaume
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 9:36 am
No,only the mean and the standard error of the mean are given.
 Sara May posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:27 am
Is it possible to specify both binary variables as well as continuous variables as missing data correlates?

The following syntax doesn’t work if I specify the dummy variables as categorical:

auxiliary = (m) dummy1 dummy2 continuous1 continuous2;

Thanks!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:17 am
This is for continuous variables only.
 Maren Winkler posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 3:08 am
Hi,

I've estimated a SEM and didn't have problems with fit, SE etc. Now I've added auxiliary variables (aux (m)) and got the following message:

"THE LATENT VARIABLE COVARIANCE MATRIX (PSI) IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE. THIS COULD INDICATE A NEGATIVE VARIANCE/RESIDUAL VARIANCE FOR A LATENT VARIABLE, A CORRELATION GREATER OR EQUAL TO ONE BETWEEN TWO LATENT VARIABLES, OR A LINEAR DEPENDENCY AMONG MORE THAN TWO LATENT VARIABLES. CHECK THE TECH4 OUTPUT FOR MORE INFORMATION. PROBLEM INVOLVING VARIABLE ."

I have a model as follows:

F1 BY a b c;
F2 BY x y z;

RESID BY d;
RESID WITH F1@1;

d ON F1;
d@0;

F2 ON F1 RESID;

(the variable RESID is specified in order to allow an additional path from the residuum of variable d on F2 over and above the loading of F1 - on which d loads, too).
The correlation of d and RESID is .906 - which is no surprise given the model.

I'm confused because the model as above worked fine without auxiliary variables.

thanks for your help!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 8:04 am
I think you mean:

RESID WITH F1@0;
 Carolyn CL posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 9:12 am
Hello Dr. Muthen,

I was wondering if there is a way to make the AUXILIARY = (m)x; function work when some of the dependent variables are categorical?

If I treat my variables as continuous and run the (m)x function and compare this model to a saturated correlate model, the results tend to be quite similar in terms of fit indices (CFI, RMSEA), effect sizes and significance. However I am not comfortable treating these categorical variables as continuous because of their non-normal distributions.

Would very much appreciate your suggestions.

Carolyn
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 9:43 am
AUXILIARY (m) is available only for continuous variables.
 Karen-Inge Karstoft posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 3:55 am
Hi,

given that it is not possible to use the aux (m) in TYPE=MIXTURE - is there any other way to account for variables predicting missingness without including them in the model?

Thanks,
Karen-Inge
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, January 07, 2013 - 10:58 am
You could use multiple imputation. See DATA IMPUTATION.
 Chris Blanchard posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:23 am
Hi,
i'm new to MPlus and wanted to confirm the following. I have a repeated measure design with 4 times points (steps per day at the end of CR, 3 mo after CR, 6 mo after CR, 9 mo after CR). In some preliminary analyses, I found that Diag_Rec (categorical), BMI, and frst_ev (categorical) were related to "missingness" at follow-up assessments. So, I just want to be sure that these variables are included in the model, so do I use the auxiliary function to do so in the analysis below? If not, do I have to use multiple imputation instead? Thanks!
chris

VARIABLE:
NAMES ARE id Diag_Rec BMI frst_ev t2_steps t3_steps t4_steps t5_steps;

USEV ARE t2_steps t3_steps t4_steps t5_steps;

MISSING t2_steps(999) t3_steps(999) t4_steps(999) t5_steps(999);

AUXILIARY = Diag_Rec BMI frst_ev;

CLASSES = c(2);

ANALYSIS:
ESTIMATOR = ML;
TYPE = MIXTURE;
STARTS 100 5;
MITERATION = 300;

MODEL:
%OVERALL%
i s | t2_steps@-3 t3_steps@-1 t4_steps@1 t5_steps@3;
i-s@0;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 4:56 pm
I assume these 3 variables don't have a substantive role in your growth model - if they do - just included them in the model. So if not, either approach you mention is fine in principle. You have to specify Auxiliary Missing, not just Auxiliary (see UG). But I think we have not yet developed Aux Missing for Mixtures yet, so that won't work. Multiple imputation is possible, although you assume a 2-class model so regular unrestricted (1-class) imputation is a bit off, but probably better than not using those variables.
 Maren Formazin posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 8:04 am
Hi,

I have data from 2326 subjects. For the model that I'm interested in, I use 7 items. There are 8 subjects with complete missings on these 7 items.

If I estimate my model without the AUXILIARY (M) command, Mplus warns me there are 8 cases with complete missings and tells me N = 2318.

However, if I estimate my model with the AUXILIARY (M) command with my data, Mplus warns me "1 case with complete missing data" and tells me N = 2325.

This doesn't make sense to me - there are indeed 8 subjects with complete missing data on those 7 items that constitute my model; however, all 8 participants have non-missing data on the auxiliary variables.

What can have gone wrong here?

Thanks!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:53 pm
Please send the two outputs, data, and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Carolyn CL posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 12:11 pm
Hello Dr. Muthen,

I am running a saturated correlate structural equation model with socio-economic status as the auxiliary variable and dummies representing poverty trajectories (3 dummies, 4th reference category excluded) as independent variables predicting weight status (3 categories: normal, overweight, obese).

When I run a basic model (N = 1230):

Weight ON d_low d_inc d_dec;

The model runs fine.

When I add the auxiliary variable (N = 2120):

Weight ON d_low d_inc d_dec;

SES WITH Weight d_low d_inc d_dec;

The coefficients of the dummy variables are comparable, but the standard errors are inflated, and one sig. effect becomes ns.

When I run the full model (with additional independent and dependent variables) including the auxiliary variable SES, the model fails to converge. Increasing the number of iterations does not solve the problem. I can however run the model without the auxiliary and the model converges, but I obviously lose part of my sample.

Any idea why the full model with the auxiliary will not converge?

Carolyn
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 12:17 pm
I would have no idea. You would need to send the outputs and your license number to support@statmodel.com for further information.
 Carolyn CL posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 8:46 am
I found the problem - the model was by default allowing the dummy variables to correlate with each other once I added the auxiliary variable. Restricting the correlations to 0 allows the model to converge and provides the expected results.

Many thanks!
 Michael J. Kieffer posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:59 am
Imagine a model-building process with a dataset that has missing data and a simple model that includes:
USEVARIABLES = y x1;
AUXILIARY = (m) c1 c2;
Model: y ON x1;

Then, I want to know if c1 should be a control, so I do:
USEVARIABLES = y x1 c1;
AUXILIARY = (m) c2;
Model: y ON x1 c1;

In such a case, I feel like it's important to list c1 as auxiliary in the first model, because if I didn't, it seems like the two models would be fitted to different variance-covariance matrices (i.e., b/c one incorporates c1 in FIML and the other doesn't). I'm not talking about comparing the goodness of fit, but just a less formal model-building process where I'm trying to decide which covariates to include based on their z-stats. For instance, in a scenario in which I have a large number of covariates to consider, I systematically try different covariates but make sure to include them either in AUXILIARY or USEVARIABLES. Or a scenario where I want to present effect sizes for a question predictor with two different combinations of covariates.

Does this approach make sense or am I worrying too much about the concern that leaving c1 out of both AUX and USEVARIABLES in one model than including it in USEVARIABLES in a later model?
 Michael J. Kieffer posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:03 pm
I ask the question above, b/c I also frequently use BOOTSTRAP, which I realize is incompatible with AUX = (m). If my concern is valid, are there any plans to make these two compatible in the future?

PS- I realize that the Model commands above also need a line like: x1 c1; to treat these as outcomes and get FIML to work. I just ran out of space.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 3:22 pm
I think it is difficult to deal with missing using Auxiliary (m) at the same time as you try to decide on which covariates to control for. I would do the latter first and if needed then the former. Particularly since Aux m often does not affect the results much. You may also want to take this by a general analysis discussion list like SEMNET.
 Stafanie Chris posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 5:44 am
Hello Dr. Muthen,

I did a latent class analysis,and determined three-class solution is the most appropriate number of classes. Then, in my following step, I included three distal continuous outcomes by Lanza's method (DCON).To account for the clustering nature of my data (cases nested in classes), I used "TYPE=COMPLEX MIXTURE".However, there comes a warning, "Auxiliary variables with DCATEGORICAL or DCONTINUOUS are not available with TYPE=MIXTURE COMPLEX."

What should I do to account for the hierachcical structure of my data in mplus?

Many thanks!

Stafanie
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:34 am
You are right that this is not implemented yet for Lanza's method. I don't have a good answer to give you.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: