Structural Zeros PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 mpduser1 posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:13 am
Is there any way to specify structural zeros in log linear or logistic regression models using Mplus 5.1 ?

Thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:27 am
For specific models I would think that using the Mplus Model Constraint feature can accomplish that. You would constrain the parameters to generate a zero probability for a specific cell in your frequency table.
 Lois Downey posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:38 pm
Hello,

We have two variables of interest (A1 and A2) that involve a structural zero; the two variables cannot both = 1. However, we wanted to test the hypothesis that A1 reduces the likelihood of B, but B in turn increases the likelihood of A2. To test this hypothesis, I first ran a saturated model that included two probit regressions:
B on A1;
A2 on A1 B;

The coefficient for A2 on A1 was not statistically significant (p=0.980). I expected that if I removed that link from the model, I would get a model with good fit and with the other two regression coefficients remaining close to the values and significance they had exhibited in the saturated model. However, when I removed the link between A1 and A2, the p-value for the chi-square test of fit was 0.0000. Why is that? Is it related to the fact that there is a structural zero in the cross-tabulation of A1 and A2? If so, is there some alternative modeling technique that I can use to test our hypothesis?

Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 5:52 pm
You may want to ask this on SEMNET.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: