Variable with non-integer value PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
 Jessica Leah posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 5:42 pm

I'm trying to do a path analysis with a variable that has non-integer values. As a result, I'm getting an error message. Is it possible to correct this without modifying my variable?

Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 9:52 am
It sounds like you are putting the variable on the CATEGORICAL list. If it is categorical, it should not have non-integer values. Perhaps you are reading the data incorrectly.
 Melissa Kimber posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 9:02 am
I am getting a similar problem; however, I checked the data and everyone is coded as either a 1,2 or 3.
Any suggestions?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 9:57 am
Please send the input, data, output, and your license number to
 Lin Gu posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 6:43 pm
I have a variable that has 7 ordered values: 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3. I put it one the categorical list and got the error message about non-integar values. Is there a way that I can treat the variable as a categorical variable or do I have to model it as a continuous variable? Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 10:50 am
The values of a categorical variable have no meaning. Just change the values to integers:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6
 Rohan Jayasuriya posted on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 8:08 am

I am having the same problem as Melissa Kimber

Categorical variable BPCNTR contains non-integer values

I have checked the input file on notepad and the variable is coded 1 or 2

I went back to my original SPSS file and saved it as dat file and tried again. same result.

any help appreciated
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 9:00 am
Please send the output, data set, and your license number to You are most likely reading the data incorrectly or you have blanks in the data set.
Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message