Calculation of factor scores in 2nd o... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 6:43 am
In a 2nd order factor model, how are factor scores calculated for 1st order and 2nd order factors respectively.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 12:11 pm
See Technical Appendix 11 on the website.
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 3:46 am
Hi Linda,

As far as I can see, tech appendix 11 describes calculation of factor scores for 1st order latent variables, only. Could you help me any with hints as to how are 2nd order factor scores calculated - and as the model is different, how are 1st order factor scores calculated in a 2nd order model?

Best
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 9:59 am
Formulas 218-219 cover all SEM models of which a second-order factor model is one. See a general SEM book like the Bollen book to better understand these formulas. Formula 225 gives the factor scores for an SEM model.
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:06 am
Thank you, Linda. I am looking into it.
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 1:48 pm
HI again.

Sorry, I did not mention that my indicators are categorical. I presume that it means that eq 225 is not the one to use, but instead the eqns 227-231. May I ask if you have any hint on how to calculate 2nd order factor scores and 1st order factor scores in this case?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 2:24 pm
You cannot calculate factors scores yourself with categorical indicators. It is an iterative procedure.
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 3:11 pm
I know, I am using a iterative procedure (using R)
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 5:08 am
I would be very grateful if it is possible to give some hints as to how I calculate factor scores for 1st order and 2nd order factors respectively in a 2nd order factor model with categorical indicators - using iterative procedures
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 3:38 pm
I have nothing to point you to except the technical appendix.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: