Simultaneous equations PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Anna Manzoni posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 3:08 pm
I am estimating a model with two simultaneous equations, one for Y and one for X, and each equation includes unique predictors.
Y on lagY X lagX z1 z2 z3
X on lagX M lagM z1 z2 z4
I am looking at how parental support (X) affects youth occupational status (Y). I have repeated measures for X and Y and I want to tackle simultaneity, as Y may also affect X. z1 and z2 are socio-demographic variables. z3 is unique in the equation for Y (occupational status) and represents business cycle effects. z4 is unique in the equation for X (parental support) and represents the number of siblings. My panel is unbalanced, with respondents followed up to 4 times. Data are in long format. I use Cluster is pid and type=complex.

There is no feedback loop in the model as in the equation for X (parental support) I use M (employment status) as predictor, and not Y (occupational status).

While the model above includes lagged and contemporaneous effects, theoretically I would justify a simpler model including only the lagged effect of X and Y and only the contemporaneous effect of M on X, which would read
Y on lagY lagX z1 z2 z3
X on lagX M z1 z2 z4. The latter model gives MSEA=0.03, CFI=0.96; TLI=0.80.

I wonder whether this all makes sense and whether I need to perform additional tests. I am very new to SEM and MPlus and any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you so much.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 4:44 pm
You will get fuller answers to these general modeling questions on SEMNET.
 Anna Manzoni posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 5:37 pm
Thank you.I actually tried on SEMMET but could not get an answer
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: