BASEHAZARD vs. ESTBASELINE under SAVE... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Hanjoe Kim posted on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:18 pm
What is the difference between these two commands? I ran both and found:

BASELHAZARD file: the first column seemed to match the survival time values in the raw data and I assume that the second column is the estimated baseline hazards.

ESTBASELINE file: I am not sure what this is...I thought the first column would be the survival time values and the second would be the estimated baseline hazards. However, the first column is showing numbers that do not match the survival time values in the raw data (although the metric seems right) and the second column values are monotonically decreasing (could it be the survival function?).

Also, please tell me how the baseline hazard rates are estimated in Mplus. I am guessing it is related to Dr. Breslow's comments in the Cox (1972) paper.

Ultimately, what I am trying to do is get an estimate of E(T) = Integral of the survival function, showed in the following link:
http://thirdorderscientist.org/homoclinic-orbit/2013/6/25/the-darth-vader-rule-mdash-or-computing-expectations-using-survival-functions
Is there a way I can do this in Mplus?

Thank you.

Hanjoe.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 1:15 pm
BASELHAZARD is the baseline hazard function, ESTBASELINE is the baseline survival probability, which is evaluated at 100 equally spaced points between 0 and the max survival time.

Take a look at formulas (6-10) in
http://statmodel.com/download/Survival.pdf
The above paper also has references to the estimation procedure - see the two Larsen's papers.

To get E(T) approximately/numerically (at baseline) you can sum up the survival probabilities values of ESTBASELINE and multiply by the time interval.
 Hanjoe Kim posted on Monday, February 01, 2016 - 1:52 pm
Thank you very much!
I think it would be most helpful if the Mplus user guide is updated with this information. At the moment, the description for BASEHAZARD and ESTBASELINE is not clear.

Hanjoe.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: