Not positively definite PSI matrix PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Daniel Schwarzkopf posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 9:17 am
I am analyzing longitudinal data. The NEO-FFI was administered two times. So I have five latent variables for each time point. I use three parcels to measure each factor. The parcels were build using item to construct matching as proposed by Little et al. I want to establish measurement invariance. N is about 170. So now here is the problem:

I get the error message: PSI ist not positively definite. The Problem is about the factor Aggreableness at timepoint 2. I looked in Tech4 and found Correlations greater than one.

Solutions I tried:
I set the covariance between measurement error of each parcel at time 1 with the same parcel at time 2 free. So I capture specific variance of each parcel. This brings better model fit and the correlations of latent variables get smaller than one. But the error message stays the same.

I also fixed most covariances of factors from time one with factors of time 2 to zero. This did not help.

Next I omitted some factors from the model and found, that it works fine for some models with only 3 factors. With 4 latent variables I get the error message.

So I thought the problem might be linear dependency.

So what can I do about that? Is ommitting some factors the only way?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 2:59 pm
Please send the full output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: