Matching Mplus Output to APA Reportin... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Tanja Gabriele Baudson posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 12:29 am
Hi there,

trying to report the results of my multilevel analysis according to APA standards (p. 147f. in the 2009 publication manual), I would like to know where to find the variance-covariance estimates (reported at the bottom half of the table in the manual).

Under the heading "Random parameters / Level 2", they list
* Intercept/intercept (sigmasq{a0})
* Age/age [one of the predictors] (sigmasq{a1})
* Age/intercept (sigmasq{a10})
Then, under the heading "Random parameters/Level1":
* Intercept/intercept (w{0})
* and the -2LL [at least, I found that one; this corresponds to the "deviance," if I am not mistaken?]

Maybe it's just a problem of notation. Sorry if I am overlooking something completely obvious.

Thanks,
Tanya
 Tanja Gabriele Baudson posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 6:02 am
I mean, where can I find it _in the Mplus output_. Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 9:32 am
It sounds like you have a model with a random intercept and random slope similar to Example 9.2.

MODEL:
#WITHIN%
s | y ON age;
%BETWEEN%
s y;
s WITH y;

where on within you will get an estimate of the residual variance of s and on between you will get the variance of the random slope s and the random intercept y and their covariance.
 Tanja Gabriele Baudson posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 3:29 am
Hi Linda,

thanks for your help. Actually (and this is where I got stuck), the APA manual mentions an intercept/intercept covariance at level 2 (sigmasq_a0) as well as at level 2 (w_0) from the null model on, and I am not sure why they term it a random factor. In addition, they do not seem to use the standard indices (they use an a instead of ... u? r?), which makes it a little confusing.

If you do not have the manual at hand, I could send you the table in question. Sorry if my problem is probably completely straightforward, and I'm just confused by the lack of explanation in the APA table note.

Thanks,
Tanja
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:59 am
I would look in the Raudenbush and Bryk book and also at a published article that uses the APA standards.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: