Interactions and centring PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Kaitlyn Werner posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 7:57 am
Hi,

I am interested in examining the main effects and interactions of a series of variables at both the between and within-person level. I originally conducted the analysis using the MIXED procedure in SPSS, but when I ran it in MPlus I was getting vastly different results. Ultimately, the problem seems to be that the variables were centred at the person and mean level in SPSS, whereas I used the "raw" variables in MPlus. This leads me to a couple of questions:

(1) Do I need to centre my variables in MPlus if I use the same ones at both the between and within-person levels?

(2) I have tried pre-centering all variables, calculating the interactions in SPSS, and then importing them into MPlus to see if I can recreate my results in SPSS. However, when I ran the model including the correlations between the variables only (i.e., not including the correlations between interactions), I get the following error (see below), and only the interaction terms seem to be affected (i.e., they have a bunch of stars instead of a variance). However, when I run the model excluding the correlations, it runs perfectly fine.

" One or more variables have a variance greater than the maximum allowed of 1000000.
Check your data and format statement or rescale the variable(s) using the DEFINE command."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kaitlyn
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 9:02 am
Please send your output and license number to support@statmodel.com.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: