Mediation, Moderation & categorical I... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Tino Nsenene posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 4:29 am
Hello,

Mplus seems to be the only software able to estimate this model where a twolevel mediation (z-> x -> y) is combined with a cross-level interaction
(z-> slope). My example code is straightforward:

ANALYSIS:
TYPE = TWOLEVEL RANDOM;

MODEL:
%WITHIN%
SLOPE | y ON x;

%BETWEEN%
y ON x;
y ON z;
x ON z;
SLOPE ON z;

What is perhaps not so straightforward (& hopefully not outside the scope of this forum) is the question on the decomposition of the effects estimated with such a model:

Given that the slope of x varies between clusters and is predicted by z, how should one calculate the indirect effect from z on y?

Many thanks,
Tino
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 6:05 pm
If I look at the formulas correctly, I think the indirect effect from z to y via x is simply the usual product of slopes for y ON x and x on z. The random slope does not come into the picture for the indirect effect because there is not mediation on Within but on Between.
 Abdul karim khan posted on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 9:57 am
Hello,
I am new to MPLUS. I am estimating a simple model having X,Y, W(moderator). All variables are measured at Level 1. The only issue is employees are nested under managers, where employees reported on X,W and managers reported for their employees behavior W. As this is a case of nested data, and all variables are "within" level variables. I looked for similar examples in chapter 9 of MPLus gudie and could not find an example corresponding to my model. can you please recommend me some similar example? OR else can you please send me the code for estimating such model? Thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 10:24 am
Perhaps you have a typo - please re-state for each of the 3 variables if they are measured on level 1 or on level 2.
 Abdul karim khan posted on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 1:08 pm
All variables are measured at Level 1. The three variables are X = openness to experience personality trait of employees( self rated by employees), W = perceptions of Ethical leadership behaviours of managers (rated by employees), Y = Creativity behaviour of employees (rated by managers). Each manager rated on average eight employes working under them. The total sample is 50 managers and 400 employees.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 2:26 pm
A simple model with a random intercept varying across managers is

Variable:
Usev = y x w xw;
Within = x w;

Define:
xw = x*w;

Model:
%within%
y on x w xw;
%between%
y;
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: