Covariates using twolevel complex PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 student07 posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:11 am
I have a question of understanding regarding the "type = twolevel complex"
command as described on p. 401. I wonder whether this command can be used to include covariates which refer to the primary sampling unit.

Example:
Assume a data structure with employees (level 1, N= 3000) sampled from teams (level 2, N=60) sampled from companies (level 3, N=30).

Objective:
I intend to model a two-level SEM with covariates on the within-teams (level 1)and between-teams level (level 2). This works fine, results are OK.

However, I also have an interesting covariate "X3" which has been measured for companies only - thus, conceptually a level-3 covariate.

Question:
Would it be feasible to regress some between-team latent variable (level 2) on "X3" and obtain correct estimates for "X3" by using the

"Type = twolevel complex"
"Cluster is companies teams" ?

syntax?

Many thanks for your reply.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:35 am
No, modeling can be done only on levels 1 and 2.
 Jane Wu posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 9:08 pm
A related question: If specifying TYPE = COMPLEX to run a single-level SEM (taking into account the nesting of employees within teams), can you confirm that I can't test team-level (level 2) effects on employee (level 1) outcomes?

Thank you for your help!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 6:12 am
The is correct. You would need to use TYPE=TWOLEVEL to be able to model at the team level.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: