MLM and complex survey data PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Alison Riddle posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:26 am
Hi Bengt,

I read your article "MLM of Complex Survey Data" and I am trying to get a handle on how it applies to my data. Briefly, here is the sampling strategy that was used:

"In Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia and
Zimbabwe we stratified the most recent available census into rural, urban (not within the capital region), and urban capital sites. In each country, we drew a last stage random selection of enumeration areas, with probability proportional to the national population (Table 1). Interviewers tried to cover
all households in each enumeration area, without sub-sampling. In each household, they interviewed all adults aged 16-60 years present at the time of the visit."

It is my understanding that I have 3 levels - enumeration areas, households, and individuals. I have weights for country and EA type and a stratification variable for EA type. How would you recommend that I model this in Mplus? Can I use MLM as opposed to TYPE=COMPLEX, or would it be a combination? Also, can I use IMPUTATION with TYPE=TWO LEVEL?

Thanks for your assistance, as always.

Cheers,
Alison
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:28 am
I would suggest TYPE=COMPLEX TWOLEVEL; with
CLUSTERS=enumeration household; STRATIFICTION= rural/urban/urbancap;
WEIGHT= product of two weight variables;

You can use IMPUTATION with COMPLEX TWOLEVEL.
 Alison Riddle posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:32 am
Thanks so much, Linda.
 Alison Riddle posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:30 am
Drs Muthen,

I just wanted to follow up on your previous recommendation. Do I understand correctly that the method you are suggesting is a combination of multilevel modelling and an adjusted chi-square approach? If so, is there a particular reason you have adopted this approach versus a 3 level model (or is it simply because Mplus cannot yet perform an analysis with more than 2 levels)?

Also, can I use TYPE=TWOLEVEL for an EFA?

Cheers,
Alison
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:35 am
Yes, see the description in the introduction to Chapter 9. Mplus currently cannot do three levels with cross-sectional data only with repeated measures. This is another approach that can be considered because often the highest level does not have enough variability to model.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: