Patterns of Nesting are Different Acr... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 James L. Lewis posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 4:08 pm
Hello,
I want to test a mediation model with 3 time points, different variables at each time point (not a growth model or simplex model). At each time point students are nested in a different teacher. There are several teachers (more than 50) so most students have a different pattern of nesting across years. I read somewhere (on this discussion board) that this might be called "crossed random effects" and that MPLUS currently does not handle this. Is that right?

Or perhaps I am wrong that these are "crossed random effects" - Is there a way in MPLUS to remove the "teacher variance" at each occasion when the patterns of nesting change in this way? Do I need to remove it?

Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 5:57 pm
It sounds like crossed random effects, which Mplus currently doesn't handle.
 James L. Lewis posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:57 pm
Thank you. Will future versions of MPLUS include this capability? Or do you otherwise have any suggestions how to deal with this?
Thanks again.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 3:27 pm
We plan to add this eventually. I am not sure when. There is no way to deal with this in Mplus.
 James L. Lewis posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:52 pm
What if I took the teacher trajectories and created a single variable out of it? For example:

A person who has
TEACHER A - YEAR1
TEACHER B - YEAR2
TEACHER C - YEAR3
GETS A VALUE ON THE (NOMINAL) NEW VARIABLE OF "1"

A person who has
TEACHER C - YEAR1
TEACHER A - YEAR2
TEACHER D - YEAR3
GETS A VALUE ON THE (NOMINAL) NEW VARIABLE OF "2"

etc.

Would this type of categorization work?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:52 pm
It sounds like you then treat teacher combinations as fixed effects, not random.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: