Variation within cluster PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Erik Thoonen posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:03 pm
Today, I tried to perform multilevel path-analyses using a SPSS-datafile saved as a .dat-file.
Running the Mplus-imput file resulted in the next error: "One or more between-level variables have variation within a cluster for one or more clusters". However, inspecting the data-file made clear there are now differences within clusters.

What may explain this Mplus-error?

Thanks a lot,

Erik
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:25 pm
Your data could be being read incorrectly for a variety of reasons -- blanks in the data set, commas in the data set instead of periods for decimals etc. Please send your input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com if you can't figure this out.
 Aurelie Lange posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 7:01 am
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I got the same error-message, but I actually have real variations within clusters.
I have a complex twolevel model with two clusters:
- therapist
- cohort (all families treated by the same therapist in the same year)

When I look up the error message, I see clients treated within the same cohort (thus by the same therapist in the same year), but the different families were treated in different teams, as the therapist changed team in that year.

Can I include or specificy this variation in the model? Or would I need to exclude all variation from my data before running the analyses?

Thank you for your advice.

Aurelie
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: