Default estimator for TYPE=TWOLEVEL PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Jessica Metot posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 9:48 am
Hello,

I can't seem to find this information in the user's guide:

What is the default estimator for TYPE=TWOLEVEL? I read that when all dependent variables are continuous (which mine are), the four estimator choices are MUML, ML, and MLR, MLF. But, what does it use if I do not specify an estimator?

I ask because I was interested in obtaining bootstrapped standard errors for my model, but I see that this command cannot be paired with TYPE=TWOLEVEL. I read that the reason it cannot be used with certain estimators (e.g., MLR) is that the parameter estimates and bootstrapped standard errors for these estimators do not differ from ML. So, I’m curious if bootstrapping is not available for TYPE=TWOLEVEL because of its associated default estimator.

Thank you in advance for answering such a basic question!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 12:11 pm
See page 532 of the Version 6 Mplus User's Guide. The default is MLR for all variable types. The reason bootstrapping is not available for TYPE=TWOLEVEL is not related to the default estimator. It has simply not been developed for this case.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: