Generate multi-group data within clus... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Dex  posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 9:45 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I am trying to generate multi-group multilevel data using MONTECARLO command.
By specifing "NGROUPS", "NCSIZES", and "CSIZES"; the program generated the grouping variable between clusters by default setting. However, I'd like to generate multi-group data "within" clusters(e.g. students nested within schools, the group vaiable is gender). I was wondering under MONTECARLO, is that possible to do a "personalized" grouping procedure within clusters. Thank you for your time.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 11:40 am
You could generate a within-level dummy variable on within using the CUTPOINT option.
 Dex  posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 4:59 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen,
Thank you for your reply.In my case, instead of generating a within-level dummy variable as covariate, I hope to specify the group membership(within clusters) independent of all other variables, and I also tried to specify different model parameters for different groups under "model population". Based on my understanding, if using "CUTPOINT" option, the software has to generate the whole thing simultaneously; and I cannot
do further constrain on population parameters based on group membership. Could you please give me some further information/help? Thank you and my best.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 6:29 pm
I don't quite understand: You can affect group differences using within-level covariates - the factor means and the factor indicator means can be different across groups.

There is a more advanced approach which uses mixture modeling, where within-level latent classes capture group differences.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: