Cross loading PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Exploratory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Annette Knobloch posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 9:01 am
Can you please recommend a text or article citation for cross loading of items on factors? I have been told (courses) and seen (Nunnally 1994 cited, but no page number) that there should be at least a .2 difference if cross loading occurs. I have eyeballed Nunnally, but can not find that criterion.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 7:52 am
I don't know of any useful rules regarding the size of cross-loadings. I would look at interpretability and significance. You might also want to look at the Cudeck and O'Dell paper that is referenced in the user's guide.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 8:18 am
I think rules about sizes of loadings may be from a time when there were no standard errors available for estimated loadings - now they are available, also for EFA which is the topic discussed in Cudeck and O'Dell.

Substantively, of course you don't want large cross-loadings if they were not hypothesized, but there may be a good substantive interpretation of their existence and inclusion. They are not hurtful per se.
 Mahdi posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 12:21 am
Hi
What is the Cross-Loadings? and how do we compute them?
Thanks a lot!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 12:07 pm
Say that you have 2 factors and expect the first 3 items to all load on the first factor. But EFA reveals that one of those 3 items also has a small but significant loading on the second factor. That is a cross-loading.
 Bandhan Majumdar posted on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 8:29 am
in my case I am having significant cross loading of a variable on more than 1 factor now should I omit this variable.is there any suitable reading material for this?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 9:56 am
You should study the Topic 1 course video and handout on the website. It goes over EFA in detail.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: