Linearity of effects PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Anonymous posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 7:58 am
Hi; Simple question. In a CFA w/all continuous indicators, how can I be assured the relationship between the indicators and the latent variables is linear, as I would check in a regression proceedure? The reason I ask is I have some heavily skewed indicators. Thanks in advance for your help.
 bmuthen posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 9:01 am
That's a good question. Seems like there are many possibilities, but that we know little about how they compare. One way is to use the Mplus Version 3 facility of non-linear factor relationship using ML - check if the quadratic term is significant. You can also try to plot residuals after estimating the factor scores and doing a regular regression of the outcomes on the factors (although that is distorted by the possible nonlinearity when estimating the scores). You can try a censored-normal (inflated) model instead. Etc. Perhaps this is a topic for a paper, motivated by actually being able to fit nonlinear models?
 Anonymous posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 11:49 am
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the non-linear specification (I'm new to MPLUS-could you point to an example in the manual?). The residuals sound problematic, but worth looking at. I am curious about the censored-normal model, with which I am completely unfamiliar. Can you point me to a reference on how this works? I would appreciate it.
 bmuthen posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:28 pm
A non-linear example is given as Ex5.7 in the Version 3 User's Guide and 5.4 gives a censored example. For censored factor analysis, see also my 1989 Tobit factor analysis paper in BJMSP given on the Mplus web site under References (or my UCLA site).
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: