Construct discrimination validation PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 yao lu posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 12:03 pm
Hi Drs Muthen,

I read that in CFA, when two factors are highly correlated, it indicates very low discrimination, i.e., combining two factors to one is suggested.

In my study, F1 and F2 generates a high correlation of 0.89. However, I also hypothesize that F1 and F2 has a significant positive relationship.

So my question is when two factors are hypothesized to be significantly correlated, would a high correlation between them wont be an issue in terms of discrimination validity?

Thank you very much for your help.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 1:11 pm
This question is more appropriate for a general discussion forum like SEMNET.
 James Gambrell posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 9:32 am
A high correlation is no problem for discriminant validity as long as the difference between the variables can be measured reliably. Height and Weight are highly correlated, for example, but the difference between them is easy to measure.

The issue is just that psychometric measurement is typically so imprecise that it will be very difficult to measure differences between variables with a latent correlation of .90, at least at the individual level. Perhaps focus on profile differences across groups.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: